Copyright © 2008 - 2014 by Andrew J. Morris
A generation which ignores history has no past -- and no future.
History of Saint Clairsville, (Belmont County) Ohio
Our on-site database does not include an historic photo for Saint Clairsville, (Belmont County) Ohio, do you have one you would like to contribute? Contact Us!
15% - 35% off all Products » The Ready Store
Biographical Sketch of Thomas Thompson Eckert
Thomas Thompson Eckert, telegrapher, was born in St. Clairsville, Ohio, April 23, 1825. He learned telegraphy as a boy and when appointed postmaster of Wooster, Ohio, in 1849, he established a telegraph office in that city. In 1852 he constructed a telegraph line between Pittsburg and Chicago, and was made its superintendent. After the line was absorbed by the Western Union telegraph company his duties were greatly increased. In 1859 he resigned the position to manage a gold-mining company in Montgomery county, N.C. His operations there were stopped by the civil war and he then became head of the U.S. military telegraph, established by General McClellan at Cincinnati, Ohio, and in 1862 he was transferred to the department of the Potomac with the rank of captain and assistant quartermaster. In September, 1862, he was promoted major and was directed to establish military telegraph headquarters at the war department, in Washington. In 1864 he received the brevets of lieutenant-colonel and brigadier-general and was appointed by President Lincoln assistant secretary of war. In 1866 he resigned the secretaryship and his position in the army to assume the general superintendency of the eastern division of the Western Union telegraph company. In 1875 he organized and became president of the Atlantic & Pacific telegraph company, and in 1880 was elected president of the American Union telegraph company. When these companies were consolidated with the Western Union telegraph company in 1881, he became vice-president and general manager of the latter company and in 1893 was elected to the presidency to succeed Dr. Norvin Green, deceased.
Hon. Benjamin S. Cowen
Lawyer and Jurist, Benjamin S. Cowen was born, September 27th, 1792, in Washington county, New York, where he was also educated. He removed to Ohio in 1825, and settled in the village of Moorfield, Harrison county, where he practised medicine for a short time, but subsequently studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1830. He shortly afterwards was appointed Prosecuting Attorney for Monroe county. In 1832 he formed a legal partnership with William B. Hubbard, and removed to St. Clairsville, where he resided until his death. In 1840 he was elected to the Twenty-seventh Congress, where he was made Chairman of the Committee on Claims. In 1844 he was chosen to the State Legislature, and was there recognized as the acknowledged leader of the Whig party in the lower House. He was elected in 1847 a Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, and was on the bench until 1853. He took a leading part in the founding of Brooks' Institute and Seminary, of St. Clairsville, where his two sons, D. D. T. and B. R. Cowen, received most of their education. He was married, in Washington county, New York, to Anne, daughter of Judge Wood, of that county. He died on his birthday, September 27th, 1869, at the ripe age of seventy-seven years, respected and beloved by all who knew him.
A Biography of James Mills Thoburn
James Mills Thoburn, M.E. bishop, was born in St. Clairsville, Ohio, March 7, 1836; son of Matthew and Jane (Crawford) Thoburn; grandson of Joseph and ?? (Biggar) Thoburn and of Matthew and Jeanette Crawford, and of Scotch-Irish descent. He was graduated from Allegheny college, Meadville, Pa., A.B., 1857, A.M., 1860; was licensed to preach, and was a Methodist minister in Ohio, 1857-59. He was appointed a missionary to India, 1859, and continued in missionary service during his lifetime, founding the church and schools of Methodism in Calcutta, Rangoon, Singapore and other cities; was presiding elder of the Indian conferences, 1868-88; and at the General conference held in New York city in May, 1888, was elected missionary bishop of India and Malaysin. He was married in 1862, to Mrs. Minerva R. Downey, in India, who died the following year; and secondly, Nov. 11, 1880, to Anna, daughter of Abram and Fairby (Entrekin) Jones of Kingston, Ohio. He received the honorary degrees D.D. from Allegheny college, 1870, and LL.D. from Ohio Wesleyan university, 1894. He edited the Indian Witness for many years, and is the author of: My Missionary Apprenticeship (1884); Missionary Addresses (1888); India and Malaysia (1892); Light in the East (1894); The Deaconess and Her Vocation (1894); Christless Nations (1895); The Church of the Pentecost (1901); Life of Isabella Thoburn (1903).
Biography of John Jacob Lentz
John Jacob Lentz, representative, was born near St. Clairsville, Ohio, Jan. 27, 1856; son of Simon and Anna (Meyer) Lentz, and grandson of John Lentz, of Bavaria, Germany, and of Jacob Meyer, of Monroe county, Ohio. He attended the district schools and the St. Clairsville high school; was a teacher for four years, and was graduated from the National Normal university at Lebanon, Ohio, in 1877. He studied at the University of Wooster, 1877-78, and was graduated from the University of Michigan, A.B., 1882, and from Columbia college, N.Y. city, LL.B., 1883. He was admitted to the bar in October, 1883, and practised at Columbus, Ohio. He was teachers' examiner for five years of the city of Columbus; a trustee of Ohio university; was elected national president of the American Insurance union, September, 1896, and repeatedly reelected; and was a Democratic representative from the twelfth district of Ohio in the 55th and 56th congresses, 1897-1901.
ADDITIONAL BIOGRAPHIES AVAILABLE:
Belmont County Facts:Seat: St. Clairsville
Formed from: Jefferson and Washington
Saint Clairsville is situated 388 meters above sea level.