Copyright © 2008 - 2014 by Andrew J. Morris
A generation which ignores history has no past -- and no future.
History of Crawfordsville, (Montgomery County) Indiana
Our on-site database does not include an historic photo for Crawfordsville, (Montgomery County) Indiana, do you have one you would like to contribute? Contact Us!
15% - 35% off all Products » The Ready Store
Bayless W. Hanna Biography
Bayless W. Hanna, diplomatist, was born in Troy, Ohio, March 14, 1830. He removed with his parents to Crawfordsville, Ind., in 1836, and was a student at Wabash college, 1839-40. He studied law, and was admitted to the bar in Natchez, Miss., in 1855. He settled in practice at Crawfordsville, Ind., and was elected prosecuting attorney of Montgomery county in 1856. He removed to Terre Haute, Ind., in 1857, and was elected a representative in the state legislature as a Democrat in 1862, a state senator in i864, and attorney-general of the state in 1870. He was delegate-at-large from Indiana to the Democratic national conventions of 1872, 1876, 1880 and 1884, and was chairman of the committee on permanent organization in the convention of 1876. He was presidental elector at large in 1872 and 1884, and was appointed U.S. envoy extraordinary and minister plenipotentiary to the Argentine Republic, by President Cleveland in 1885. He died at Crawfordsville, Ind., Aug. 2, 1891.
Henry Smith Lane - A Biography
Henry Smith Lane, senator, was born in Montgomery county, Ky., Feb. 11, 1811. He was admitted to the bar in 1838, removing to Indiana in 1835, where he practised law in Crawfordsville. He was a representative in the state legislature in 1837, and in the 26th and 27th congresses, 1839-43. He was a supporter of Henry Clay for President, and in 1844 canvassed the state for him. On the outbreak of the Mexican war, he organized a regiment of volunteers of which he was chosen major. He was promoted lieutenant-colonel and served until the close of the war. He returned to Indiana, and in 1849 was a candidate for representative in the 31st congress, opposing Joseph E. McDonald, but was defeated. He joined the People's party upon its organization in 1854, and when the Republican party was formed he was chosen permanent chairman of the Republican national convention, which met in Philadelphia, June 17, 1856, where he made a notable speech which outlined the position of the new party on the subject of slavery. He was nominated for governor of Indiana by the Republican state convention of 1860, opposing Thomas A. Hendricks, and was elected by a large majority, and inaugurated Jan. 14, 1861. Two days later he was elected to the U.S. senate, and at once resigned the governorship. He served as chairman of the committee on pensions, and at the close of his senatorial term in 1867 he returned to Crawfordsville. He was a delegate to the Republican national conventions of 1868 and 1876 and was appointed Indian commissioner by President Grant in 1869. He died at Crawfordsville, Ind., June 18, 1881.
Charles Alexander McMurry Biographical Sketch
Charles Alexander McMurry, educator, was born at Crawfordsville, Ind., Feb. 18, 1857; son of Franklyn M. and Charlotte (Underwood) McMurry, and grandson of James McMurry and of John Underwood. Both grandparents came from Kentucky into central Indiana between 1830 and 1840, and his parents removed to Bloomington, Ill., in 1865. He was graduated from the Illinois State Normal university in 1876; studied two years at Michigan university between 1876 and 1880; taught school three years in Illinois, four years in Pueblo and Denver, Col., and three years at Winona, Minn., Normal school. He studied four years at the Universities of Halle and Jena in Germany, between 1882 and 1888, and received the degree of Ph.D. from Halle in 1887. He was teacher in the practice department of the Illinois State Normal university, 1892-99; super-intendant of the Practice School of the Northern Illinois Normal school at De Kalb, 1899-1901; teacher in the summer school of the University of Minnesota, three years; teacher in the summer quarter and in the Teacher's college at Chicago university four years, and in the summer session of Columbia university, N.Y., one year. He is the author of: General Method (1892); Method of the Recitation (1896); Special Method in Reading, in Literature and History, in Geography, in Science (1893-95); Pioneer History Stories (1893); Course of Study in the Eight Grades (1895); Method of the Recitation (with Frank M. McMurry, 1897). He was editor of the Year Books of the National Herbart society, 1895-1900.
Biography of Edmund Otis Hovey
Edmund Otis Hovey, clergyman and geologist, was born at Hanover, N.H., July 15, 1801; son of Roger, Revolutionary soldier, and Martha (Freeman) Hovey; grandson of Edmund and Margaret (KnowIton) Hovey, and of Edmund, founder of Hanover, N.H., and Martha (Otis) Freeman; and a descendant of Daniel Hovey, who came from England and settled in Ipswich, Mass., where he was a proprietor in 1637, and where he built the Hovey wharf, the first of the region. Edmund Freeman, the immigrant ancestor on the maternal side, was one of the original colonists of Plymouth, and was also the founder of Sandwich, Mass., and it is recorded that he "gave the men of Saugus twenty coats of armor." Edmund Otis Hovey was fitted for college at the Thetford academy, Vermont, under the care of the Rev. John Fitch. He taught school at Thetford, Norwich, and Hanover, thus getting the means to support himself in Dartmouth college, where he was graduated with honor in 1828. He was graduated from Andover Theological seminary in 1831, having meanwhile done vacation mission-work in Vermont and Canada. He was ordained by the presbytery of Newburyport at Bradford, Mass., in company with six other home missionaries, Sept. 96, 1831, and went at once to Fountain county, Indiana, where he labored for two years. He was one of the founders of Wabash college, Crawfordsville, Ind., Nov. 91, 1832, was one of its trustees, 1832-77; its treasurer, 1832-57, and professor of geology and chemistry, 1834-77. As financial agent he raised the first $100,000, and also secured the services of the first three presidents?Baldwin, White and Tuttle. He founded the Hovey museum, on whose shelves he placed 25,000 specimens of scientific interest. His catalogue of 10,000 specimens was still in manuscript in 1900. He was married, Oct. 5, 1831, to Mary Carter, daughter of Ezra and Martha (Ellsworth) Carter, of Peacham, Vermont. Mr. Carter was the first principal of the Caledonia county grammar school. They had two children: Horace Carter Hovey; and Mary Freeman Hovey, wire was a professor in the Kansas Agricultural college, taught in New Haven, Conn., and was for years the principal of a school for young ladies at Crawfordsville, Ind. Dr. Hovey was elected a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1895, and contributed occasional papers to their proceedings. He received the degree of D.D. from Dartmouth in 1869. He published: History of Wabash College (1857); a few special sermons, and contributed for the magazines and newspapers. He died at Crawfordsville, Ind., March 10, 1877.
ADDITIONAL BIOGRAPHIES AVAILABLE:
Local Historical and Genealogical Records:
Robert A. King FamilyProf. Robert A. King entered the preparatory department of Western Reserve College at Hudson, Ohio, in January, 1880, and was admitted to the Freshman class in September, 1881. When the college was removed to Cleveland, Ohio, he transferred his connection to Hamilton College, at Clinton, Oneida county, N. Y., from which he was graduated in June, 1885. After spending a year teaching in the language department of the Delaware Literary Academy, at Franklin, Delaware county, N. Y., he entered Union Theological Seminary at New York city, from which he graduated, May, 1889.
In September of the same year he went abroad to perfect himself in the German and French languages, spending two semesters in Berlin University; when he returned to the states to accept the professorship of German and French in Wabash College, at Crawfordsville, Ind. The spring and summer of 1893 was spent in study at Paris, since which time he has devoted his time and talents to imparting knowledge of the languages he has acquired from a professor's chair, as above noted.
Children of Prof. Robert A. and Kate M. (Jones) King, of Crawfordsville, Ind.:
From: History and Genealogy of the Ancestors and Family of Captain Israel Jones of Barkhamsted Connecticut. By Asahel Wellington Jones. Published by Laning Co., 1902.
Montgomery County Facts:Seat: Crawfordsville
Established: 1822 Dec 21
Formed from: Indian lands
Crawfordsville is situated 240 meters above sea level.