Copyright © 2008 - 2015 by Andrew J. Morris
A generation which ignores history has no past -- and no future.
History of New Albany, (Floyd County) Indiana
Our on-site database does not include an historic photo for New Albany, (Floyd County) Indiana, do you have one you would like to contribute? Contact Us!
Local History Notes:
The 1854 Gazetteer of the United States by Thomas Baldwin shows:
NEW ALBANY, a flourishing city, capital of Floyd county, Indiana, on the right bank of the Ohio river, 2 miles below the falls, 3 miles below Louisville, and 136 miles below Cincinnati. Lat. 38? 18' N., lon. 85? 51' W. It is the southern terminus of the New Albany and Salem railroad, which extends to Michigan City, 287 miles, and is nearly completed. It is remarkable for its rapid growth and active trade; in fact, it may be considered the most commercial town in the state excepting Madison, which contains a nearly equal population. Steamboats arrive and depart daily to all points on the Ohio and Mississippi. The streets are wide and straight, and furnished with pleasant sidewalks. The town contains about 12 churches, a collegiate institute, a Presbyterian theological seminary, 2 banks, and 2 printing offices. Two newspapers are published. Steamboat building is carried on more extensively here than at any other place on the Ohio, scarcely excepting Cincinnati; there are also manufactories of iron, brass, bagging, &c. A plank-road, 20 miles long, extends from New Albany to Corydon. Laid out in 1813. About 1640 buildings have been erected in the city within last the year. Pop. in 1840, 4226; in 1850, 8181; in 1853, about 14,000.
Felix Emmanuel Schelling Biography
Felix Emmanuel Schelling, educator, was born at New Albany, Ind., Sept. 3, 1858; son of Felix and Rose (White) Schelling; grandson of Ulrich and Barbara (Mesmer) Schelling and of George Busby and Jane (Hamilton) White. He was graduated at the University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1881, LL.B., 1883, M.A., 1884; practised law, 1884?86, and in March, 1886, was married to Caroline, daughter of James Alexander and Hannah (Palmer) Derbyshire of Philadelphia. He was at the University of Pennsylvania as instructor in English, 1886?89, assistant-professor of English literature, 1889?91, professor of English literature, 1891?93, and in 1893 became John Welsh centennial professor of English literature. He received the degree of Ph.D. from Franklin and Marshall college in 1898. He was elected member of the Modern Language Association of America and of the American Philosophical society. He is the author of: Poetic and Verse Criticism of the Reign of Elizabeth (1891); The Discoveries of Ben Jonson (1892); Life and Writings of George Gascoigne (1893); A Book of Elizabethan Lyrics (1895); A Book of Seventeenth Century Lyrics (1899); The English Chronicle Play (1902).
A Biography of George Brown Goode
George Brown Goode, naturalist, was born in New Albany, Ind., Feb. 13, 1851; son of Francis Collier and Sarah Woodruff (Crane) Goode; grandson of Philip and Rebekah (Hayes) Goode, and of Israel Cooper Crane; great-grandson of Samuel and Mary (Collier) Goode; great, great-grandson of Samuel and ???(Bunnell) Goode, and great, great, great-grandson of Samuel and Martha (Jones) Goode. This Samuel was born in the Island of Barbadoes in 1655, and settled with his parents in Virginia about 1734. George Brown Goode's paternal grandfather had removed with four brothers from Virginia in 1804, and settled in the new state of Ohio; and his maternal grandfather came from New Jersey about the same time and settled in New Albany, Ind. George was graduated at Wesleyan university (Conn.) in 1870, and after a brief post-graduate course in zo?logy at Harvard under Agassiz, organized a natural history museum for Wesleyan university and was its curator, 1871-77. He visited Bermuda to make zo?logical explorations, 1872; studied in the Unified States national museum, 1872-73, and then became associated with Professor Baird in the work in the Smithsonian institution and as a volunteer in the U.S. fish commission on its organization, where he had charge of the division of fisheries and statistics. He was occupied in zo?logical explorations from Nova Scotia to Florida and the Bermudas; was principal curator of the national museum, 1875-80; assistant director, 1881-87, and assistant secretary of the Smithsonian institution in charge of the national museum, 1887-96. He was married, Nov. 24, 1877, to Sarah Ford, daughter of Orange Judd of New York city. Their son, Kenneth Francis was born Dec. 8, 1880. In 1887, as statistical expert for the Halifax fisheries convention, he prepared and published the first comprehensive statistics of the fisheries of the United States, and as special agent of the tenth census, he directed the fishery census of 1880, and subsequently supervised the publication the first seven volumes of "The Fishery Industries of the United States." In 1887 he was appointed United States commissioner of fish and fisheries to succeed Professor Baird and resigned the office at the end of six months in order to give his entire attention to the National museum. In 1876 he had charge of the exhibit of animal products and fisheries at the Philadelphia exposition; in 1880 he was commissioner to the International fishery exhibition at Berlin, and in 1883 U.S. commissioner in charge of the American exhibit at the International fisheries exbibition in London. He was also a member of the government boards for the New Orleans exposition in 1884 and the Ohio Valley centennial in Cincinnati in 1887; was commissioner to the Columbian historical exposition in Madrid, 1892, and in 1893 was a member of the government board for the World's Columbian exposition. In 1890 he prepared for the national commission of the Columbian exposition the plan upon which the official classification of the exhibition was subsequently based. He was one of the board of management of the American institute of civics and vice-president and registrar-general of the National society of the Sons of the American Revolution in the organization of which he took part as well as in that of the Daughters of the American Revolution, whose badge was designed by him. He was a member of the National academy of' sciences; fellow of the American association for the advancement of science, of the American philosophical society, and of the American academy of arts and sciences; a member of the American society of naturalists, of the American, Virginia and Columbian historical societies; also corresponding member of the Zo?logical society of London, the Soci?t? Zo?logique de France, the Society of natural history and anthropology of Moscow, the Soci?t?, Naturale d'Aquiculture de France, the National Fisheries societies of Germany, Great Britain and Japan; and received from the Queen Regent of Spain the decoration of Commander in the Royal Order of Ysabel la Catolica. He received the degree of Ph.D. from Indiana university and that of LL.D. from Wesleyan university. Besides many papers in the proceedings of scientific societies he published: The Game Fishes of North America, with colored plates by Kilbourne; American Fishes; The Beginnings of American Science; The Origin of the Scientific and Educational Institutions of the United States; The Museums of the Future; Virginia Cousins (a genealogical work) and, with Tarleton H. Bean, Oceanic Ichthyology, an illustrated treatise on the deep sea and pelagic fishes of the world. He died at Lanier Heights, near Washington, D.C., Sept. 6, 1896.
Charles Woodruff Shields - A Biography
Charles Woodruff Shields, educator, was born in New Albany, Ind., April 4, 1825; son of James Read and Hannah (Woodruff) Shields, and grandson of Patrick Henry Shields . He was graduated at the College of New Jersey, A.B., 1844, A.M., 1847, and at the Princeton Theological seminary in 1848, was licensed to preach by the presbytery of New Brunswick, N.J., in 1848, and was ordained by the presbytery of Long Island, Nov. 8, 1849. He was pastor of the church at Hempstead, Long Island, N.Y., 1849?50, of the Second Presbyterian church at Philadelphia, Pa., 1850?65; was professor of the harmony of science and revealed religion in the College of New Jersey, Princeton, 1866?1903 (serving also as professor of history, 1869?82), and was made professor emeritus in 1903. He believed in the establishment of an American Catholic church through the organization of the Congregational, Presbyterian and Episcopal polities as taken from the New Testament, and used his influence to secure the use of the Presbyterian prayer-book of 1661, for churches that require a liturgy. He was ordained priest in the Protestant Episcopal church, Dec. 13, 1898. He was twice married: first, Nov. 22, 1848, to Charlotte Elizabeth, daughter of Peter Bain of Albany, N.Y.; and secondly, April 2, 1861, to Elizabeth, daughter of John K. Kane, of Philadelphia, Pa. He received the honorary degree of D.D. from the College of New Jersey in 1861,? and that of LL.D. from Columbian university, D.C.,in 1878. He is the author of : The Booker Common Prayer as amended by the Presbyterian Divines (1864); an appendix entitled: Liturgia Expurgata (1864); Religion and Science in Relation to Philosophy (1875); Philosophia Ultima (2 vols., 1877 and 1889); The Order of the Sciences (1882); Essays on Christian Unity; The Organic Affinity of Presbytery and Epicopal, essay; The Christian Denominations and the Historic Episcopate, essay (1892); The Presbyterian Book of Common Prayer (1893); The United Churches of the United States, essay (1896); The Reformer of Geneva (1898), and The Scientific Evidences of Revealed Religion (1900). His complete works. were subsequently included in six octavo volumes.
William Andrew Jackson Sparks - A Biography
William Andrew Jackson Sparks, representative, was born near New Albany, Ind., Nov. 19, 1828; son of Baxter and Elizabeth (Gwin) Sparks. His ancestors on both sides were of the early settlers of Virginia from England, and on the paternal side are believed to have been of the colony that founded Jamestown. He removed with his parents to Illinois in 1836, and being soon after left an orphan, worked on a farm and at intervals attended the country schools. Subsequently He taught school and was graduated from McKendree college, Lebanon. Ill., B.S., 1850; studied law with chief-Justice Sidney Breese ., and was admmitted to the bar in 1851. He was married, April 16, 1855, at Edwardsville, Ill., to Julia E. Parker. He was receiver of public moneys for the Edwardsville (Ill.) land-office by appointment of President Pierce, 1853?56; was elected for Illinois, in 1856, Democratic presidential elector; was a member of the house of representatives, in the Illinois legislature in 1857?58, and a state senator, 1863?64; a delegate to the Democratic national conventions of 1868, 1884 and 1896, and a Democratic representative from the sixteenth Illinois district in the 44th-47th congresses, 1875?83. He was appointed by President Cleveland in March, 1895, commissioner of the general land office, serving for nearly three years, when he resigned. He subsequently retired from active business. In 1903 he was a resident of St. Louis, Mo.
Floyd County Facts:Seat: New Albany
Established: 1819 Jan 2
Formed from: Harrison and Clark
New Albany is situated 137 meters above sea level.